Punjab Youth Congress is planting 1.5 lakh trees to remember Shaheed Udham Singh
Shaheed Udham Singh, a renowned freedom fighter from the state of Punjab, belonged to Ghadar party and was acknowledged for taking the life of Michael O' Dwyer, the ex-Lieutenant Governor of Punjab in India.
Dwyer's life was taken on March 13, 1940, was carried out as a retribution for the Jallianwala Bagh carnage in the year 1919.
Udham Singh was convicted and hanged during the year 1940 for slaughtering Dwyer.
Dr Navtej Singh, the author of ‘Challenge to Imperial Hegemony’ (1998) stated, “He was actually abroad on the fateful day.”
As per Dr Navtej’s study, Udham Singh worked in the North Western Railway from the year 1917 to the year 1922 and pocketed the India General Service award for the Waziristan drive of 1919-20.
“He did return to the holy city a few months after the momentous incident, which undoubtedly influenced him deeply and determined the course of his life,” Dr. Singh added.
The whole country is remembering and paying rich tributes to the lion-hearted freedom fighter on his 78th anniversary today.
Twitterati including political leaders and Indian Youth Congress shared courteous messages for the Sher of Punjab who had given up his life for the nation.
To commemorate the 78th anniversary of the Punjabi Sher, Punjab Youth Congress has commenced tree plantation drive named "ik rukh, 100 sukh".
Punjab Youth Congress has determined to distribute 1.5 lac trees today.
Here are some tweets -
- Few things as multifariously lovely as a tree. 1 lakh tree saplings distributed is all kinds of lovely lovely!
- There are some concerns which demand our participation by default. @IYCPunjab's #IkRukh100Sukh undertaking is one of those concerns and all it requires is planting a tree each! Wishing PYC President Sh.@AmarpreetLally, the very best for this noble cause!
- IYC National Secretary & Punjab In-charge @hemantogale is leading the @IYCPunjab in style with some wonderful initiatives that uphold the Punjabi pride and at the same time are directly connected to improving the lives of the beautiful people of Punjab. Kudos!! #IkRukh100Sukh
- Planting trees is the only way to deal with the environment crises we are facing right now! Its now or never! #IkRukh100Sukh #MissionTandurustPunjab
- “Trees do not preach learning and precepts. They preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life."
- Tributes to Shaheed Udham Singh,on his death anniversary!Taking inspiration from the revolutionary's life, @IYCPunjab has decided to embark on its #IkRukh100Sukh initiative, inviting all you to plant trees!Starting today,let's be the reason nature smiles! #MissionTandurustPunjab
- “When trees burn, they leave the smell of heartbreak in the air.”#IkRukh100Sukh
- I congratulate @IYCPunjab State President Shri. @AmarpreetLally for coming up with the monumental initiative to plant 1.5 lakh trees on the death anniversary of Sardar #UdhamSingh ji. It is a step that will reap benefits for years to come. So inspiring! #IkRukh100Sukh
by Vijay Singh | Tue, Jul 31 - 02:00 PM