Happy Birthday Jonty Rhodes, Some Interesting Facts About Greatest Fieldsman Ever
Jonty Rhodes is the ex-South African Test and one-day International cricketer. Jonty is referred to as the ‘God of Fielding’ and there’s no doubt about it. Rhodes single-handedly brought changes in the art of fielding. He also made people realize the importance of this aspect of cricket which was given far less importance in olden times. There was no better fielder in the backwards point and point region than him. A solid and athletic identity, his shocking jumping efforts has given a number of amazing minutes for the cricket fanatics to appreciate. He was a fearless man and batsmen barely set out to take quick runs at whatever point the ball went towards him.
The celebrated cricketer and an amazing fielder turned 49 today. So let’s have a look at the amazing cricket journey and also some lesser-known facts about Rhodes which not many must be knowing.
- Talking about Jonty’s personal life, he was married to former South African cricketer Cuan McCarthy’s niece, Kate McCarthy in 1994. The couple had two sons Daniella and Ross. However, they parted ways later.
- Rhodes then married Melanie Wolf in 2014.
- Rhodes and Melanie were blessed with a baby girl on 24th April 2015. Jonty is very fond of India and its rich culture and heritage, hence he named his daughter as India Jeanne Rhodes.
- He was the first cricketer who took a paternity leave.
- Apart from being successful in sports, Jonty is also a published writer and wrote a travel guide on South Africa which was named as Lonely Planet.
- He was voted as one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1999.
- After spending more than a decade in being a successful cricket professional Jonty is now a regular golfer and indulges in this game every day without fail.
- Rhodes promotes South Africa tourism in the world’s most cricket fanatic nation India as he has a huge fan following here.
- After he called it a day from international cricket, Rhodes worked as an accountant executive for Standard Bank. The company that has been one of the well-known sponsors of Cricket South Africa.
- The cricketer also has a bachelor’s degree in the subject from the University of Natal.
Here’s wishing Jonty Rhodes a very happy birthday!!
by Vijay Singh | Fri, Jul 27 - 11:36 AM