Asha Bhosle's achievement is beyond counting, six decades of fabulous singing career, singing in 20 Indian languages and includes foreign language too. The melodious voice of the legendary singer is still soothing to everyone's ears. From singing sensuous tracks to adding 'Tadka' to an item song, and ghazal with the same enthusiasm, she has done it all to make a song a huge hit. Asha Bhosle is a classic personality of melody as her distinctive style of singing was preferred during the 60s and 70s, and still, her sung songs are remixed in contemporary Bollywood movies which depict how gracious her voice was during that era.
As it is the 85th birthday of Asha Tai, we would love to show you some of the best songs of her career which are apt for a different mood and a must on every playlist.
- Ye Hai Reshmi Zulfon Ka Andhera from Mere Sanam
The first song on this list is 'Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfon Ka Andhera' from the movie Mere Sanam (1965). Asha Ji did playback singing for the beautiful actress Mumtaz. The adorable song was composed by OP Nayyar and lyrics were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
- Dum Maro Dum from Hare Krishna Hare Rama
Dum Maaro Dum is one of the epic tone music of that era, the song was created by Pancham Da and sung by Asha Bhosle and legendary RD Burman in Hare Krishna Hare Rama (1971). The duet of Asha Bhosle and RD Burman was favorable of that period. The song is very much played at parties even today. A remix of this song featuring Deepika Padukone was recreated but it did not impress the fans proving that old is gold.
- Piya Tu Ab To Aaja from Caravan
Cabaret was majorly preferred by Asha Bhosle back then. She has added spunk to many item songs with her versatile quality of singing featuring Bindu and Helen. But 'Piya Tu Ab Toh Aaja' from the movie Caravan(1971) is still the best among all the peppy songs. The hit Jodi of RD Burman and Asha Bhosle made another gem.
- Chura Liya Hai Tumne Joh Dil Ko from Yaadon Ki Baarat
'Chura Liya Hai Tumne Joh Dil Ko' is one of the best romantic songs of the 70s. The song was composed by RD Burman and another song of the movie is the title track 'Yaadon Ki Baraat' which is also famous among the audience. Lovers from across the generation have felt this Puncham's unusual creation with glasses sound and Asha's melodious voice which she lent to Bollywood beauty Zeenat Aman.
Well, the best song list of Asha Ji is not going to end as she has sung an endless number of songs which were mostly a hit among the viewers.
So, let's get to know some interesting facts about Asha Tai.
1. For those who are unaware, Asha Bhosle is the sister of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar.
2. Asha Ji started singing at the age of 10 and her first song was 'Chala Chala Nav Bala' which released in the year 1943.
3. Asha Bhosle debuted in films in the year 2013 at the age of 79. She played the role of a mother in a Marathi film called 'Mai'.
4. In 2011, Asha Bhosle was acknowledged officially by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most recorded artist.
5. The Government of India honored Asha Bhosle with Dadasaheb Phalke Award in the year 2000 and later in 2008, she was awarded Padma Vibhushan.
Here's wishing the legendary singer Asha Bhosle Ji a very happy birthday!!