All the government and private schools in Haryana are closed on Monday (May 07) and Tuesday (May 08) as early morning rains lashed Chandigarh and nearby areas today as the warning was issued by India Meteorological Department (IMD) regarding thunderstorm accompanied with a hurricane at some places in the state. Besides Haryana, there is a storm warning for other north Indian states too for the next two days. Few private schools in Chandigarh also announced closure for two days.
Meanwhile, The Haryana Revenue and Disaster Management Department have issued an advisory tip to be adopted in case of dust storms, thunderstorms, and gust. The department's spokesperson said there was no need to panic. He added that people should abide by safety precautions, take special care of children and senior citizens.
All the departments of Haryana have been asked to remain alert as last week, 124 people lost their lives and more than 300 were injured in thunderstorms and lightning that hit Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Punjab, and Telangana.
List of warnings issued by the IMD website for May 07:
1. The thunderstorm accompanied with storm and hail are likely to happen at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh & Delhi.
2. A thunderstorm accompanied with gusty winds very likely at isolated places over West Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim, Odisha, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura, Interior Karnataka and Kerala.
3. Dust storm very likely at isolated places over Rajasthan.
4. Heavy rain very likely at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura.
5. Heavy rain probably happens at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura.
6. Heatwave conditions are likely to happen at one or two pockets over Vidarbha (the eastern region of the Indian state of Maharashtra).